I agree that Adobe Reader defines what it means to be "compatible".  However,
for those of us running Linux Adobe Reader is not a viable option.  I used to
have an rpm file for a 32-bit Adobe Reader from about 2008 or 2010.  Some
library changes made it stop working.

Okular and poppler are part of the KDE project.  I found another application
called Master PDF Editor which also renders Therion maps with reasonable speed.
 There is a free version and it is available for all of Windows, Linux and
MacOS.  https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/[1]    It is not as fast as
Adobe Reader, but much faster than Okular.

========
Bill Gee

--------
[1] https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/