I'm actually working on trying to track this down myself, it seems
that Sphinx thinks that the app is still running after the stop job
runs but going into a console and doing ThinkingSphinx.sphinx_running?
appears to be correct.

---

# rake ts:restart --trace

** Invoke ts:restart (first_time)
** Invoke thinking_sphinx:restart (first_time)
** Invoke thinking_sphinx:app_env (first_time)
** Execute thinking_sphinx:app_env
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Invoke thinking_sphinx:stop (first_time)
** Invoke thinking_sphinx:app_env
** Execute thinking_sphinx:stop
Stopped search daemon (pid 6302).
** Invoke thinking_sphinx:start (first_time)
[Thu Sep  9 11:17:10.584 2010] [ 6302] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
** Invoke thinking_sphinx:app_env
** Execute thinking_sphinx:start
rake aborted!
searchd is already running.
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/thinking-sphinx-1.3.20/lib/
thinking_sphinx/tasks.rb:34:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
636:in `call'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
636:in `block in execute'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
631:in `each'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
631:in `execute'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
597:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:190:in `mon_synchronize'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
590:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
607:in `block in invoke_prerequisites'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
604:in `each'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
604:in `invoke_prerequisites'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
596:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:190:in `mon_synchronize'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
590:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
607:in `block in invoke_prerequisites'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
604:in `each'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
604:in `invoke_prerequisites'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
596:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:190:in `mon_synchronize'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
590:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
583:in `invoke'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2051:in `invoke_task'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2029:in `block (2 levels) in top_level'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2029:in `each'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2029:in `block in top_level'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2068:in `standard_exception_handling'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2023:in `top_level'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2001:in `block in run'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
2068:in `standard_exception_handling'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:
1998:in `run'
/usr/local/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/bin/rake:31:in
`<top (required)>'
/usr/local/ruby19/bin/rake:19:in `load'
/usr/local/ruby19/bin/rake:19:in `<main>'
[r...@revolution phantasytour_rails]# [Thu Sep  9 11:17:11.023 2010]
[ 6302] shutdown complete


On Sep 8, 6:47 pm, Mathew <[email protected]> wrote:
> After manually killing the searchd process once, ts:start and stop -
> as well as index - are now working.
>
> Odd, but apparently resolved.
>
> On Sep 8, 8:50 am, Mathew <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Pat - thanks for your quick reply - yes - am setting
> > RAILS_ENV=production
>
> > I'm just not sure why index should work, but stop/start is not.
>
> > On Sep 8, 7:01 am, "Pat Allan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Hi Mathew
>
> > > I guess I'll start with the obvious, if just to rule it out - when
> > > you're calling all of these tasks, you're setting RAILS_ENV to
> > > production, right?
>
> > > --
> > > Pat
>
> > > On 9/8/2010, "Mathew" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > >Hello,
>
> > > >I have seen some allusions to this around the web, but have not found
> > > >a satisfactory solution yet:
>
> > > >Sphinx is running fine on my server.
> > > >I can index new content with the ts:index task and get the expected
> > > >index stats.
> > > >I cannot stop Sphinx using ts:stop, instead I get the 'searchd is not
> > > >running
> > > >' message - which is not true.
>
> > > >I saw one note on the web from someone reporting that he needed to go
> > > >manually kill the searchd process, and then ts:start would work, but
> > > >that sounds pretty hacky to me, and I'd prefer to set things up so
> > > >that ts:stop works on my production environment the way it works
> > > >locally.
>
> > > >The best I can gather is that ts:stop doesn't work because sphinx (and
> > > >searchd) is installed (correctly) in another directory - but then I'm
> > > >confused why ts:index would work fine.
>
> > > >Does this ring a bell for anyone?
>
> > > >Thanks in advance,
> > > >Mathew
>
> > > >--
> > > >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> > > >Groups "Thinking Sphinx" group.
> > > >To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > > >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> > > >[email protected].
> > > >For more options, visit this group 
> > > >athttp://groups.google.com/group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en.
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thinking Sphinx" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en.

Reply via email to