Hi Mathew

I think Srdjan is right - if your searchd daemon isn't using your generated production.sphinx.conf, then it's not serving the indexes you're expecting - which would be why there's no results coming back. It also explains why the logs are empty - that other conf file will be pointing to other log files.

So: I would stop that searchd process forcibly, then use the rake tasks to start it up again, and check the process is using the right file.

I'm guessing this other process was fired up at some point when you were dealing with the initial connection issues. Or perhaps you've been using /etc/init.d/sphinx or similar (which may be installed via Linux packages, perhaps)? This is all venturing further into speculation territory though :)

Cheers

--
Pat

On 11/09/2010, at 11:32 AM, Srdjan Pejic <[email protected]> wrote:


I meant on the production server, of course. Half asleep here, sorry.
I found that when deploying to production running the ts:rebuild task
with RAILS_ENV=production solved that.

On Sep 10, 9:26 pm, Srdjan Pejic <[email protected]> wrote:
On production, does your config directory have development.sphinx.conf
or production.sphinx.conf

This has caught me out once.

On Sep 10, 6:17 pm, Mathew <[email protected]> wrote:



It seems that the query is not being executed on production, but is
locally: searchd.query.log is full of queries locally, but empty on
production. This seems like it narrows things down, but I'm not sure
where to go from here.

M

On Sep 10, 2:58 pm, Mathew <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Pat -

Thanks again for the incredible level of help here (I know you are
renowned for that) -

running ThinkingSphinx.search without arguments returns the same empty
set.

I believe the config file that searchd is using is: /usr/local/etc/
sphinx.conf.dist does that sound right to you?

-Mathew

On Sep 10, 4:38 am, Pat Allan <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Mathew

What happens if you search with no arguments whatsoever?

   ThinkingSphinx.search

Also, what's the output of Rails.env in script/console in your
production environment? Although can't see that being at fault.

Hmm... when you run ps, what config file is searchd using?

Cheers

--
Pat

On 09/09/2010, at 7:51 AM, Mathew <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm getting zero results when I search on my production environment, but the correct number of results on my local machine, even though indexing, starting, and stopping t.s. appear to be working in both cases. Both locally and in production my sample query has results when
I go into the DB directly. I'm not sure what to look into next:

Local index:

using config file '/Users/me/myapp/config/ development.sphinx.conf'...
indexing index 'post_core'...
collected 4536 docs, 0.5 MB
sorted 0.1 Mhits, 100.0% done
total 4536 docs, 480025 bytes
total 0.716 sec, 670702.25 bytes/sec, 6337.81 docs/sec
distributed index 'post' can not be directly indexed; skipping.
rotating indices: succesfully sent SIGHUP to searchd (pid=5020).

Local search:

irb(main):001:0> Post.search 'query'
=> [#<Post id: 2509,  . . . . ]

Production index:

using config file '/opt/deployments/myapp/releases/ 20100908062907/
config/production.sphinx.conf'...
indexing index 'post_core'...
collected 19404 docs, 2.0 MB
sorted 0.3 Mhits, 100.0% done
total 19404 docs, 2029736 bytes
total 0.515 sec, 3939437 bytes/sec, 37660.48 docs/sec
skipping non-plain index 'post'...
total 12 reads, 0.004 sec, 323.7 kb/call avg, 0.3 msec/call avg
total 21 writes, 0.014 sec, 292.9 kb/call avg, 0.7 msec/call avg

Production search:

irb(main):001:0> ThinkingSphinx.search 'query'
=> []

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Thinking Sphinx" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected] .
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/ group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en
.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Thinking Sphinx" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en .


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Thinking 
Sphinx" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en.

Reply via email to