Hi Josh

It's not a bug - the behaviour of Thinking Sphinx (or more to the point,
Riddle - the Ruby API for Sphinx that Thinking Sphinx uses) is different
depending on which version of Sphinx it's talking to - and to figure
that out, it tries to run indexer.

However, there's a setting to tell TS which version of Sphinx it's
dealing with - in your config/sphinx.yml file:

  production:
    version: 0.9.9

One other thing you'll probably want to do is run:
  ThinkingSphinx.remote_sphinx = true

This should happen at the end of your environment.rb file, and you'll
probably want it looking more like:

  ThinkingSphinx.remote_sphinx = true if Rails.env.production?

You can't put this in config/environments/production.rb because that
file gets evaluated before gems and plugins are loaded - which causes TS
to be loaded twice, which leads to this setting being ignored.

Perhaps it could go in a file in config/initializers - I've not tried
that, but I'd guess it would work nicely there.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

Cheers

--
Pat

On 9/12/2010, "Josh" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a two server setup app/db with sphinx installed on the db
>server.  On the app server I kept getting this "sphinx cannot be
>found" error when starting script/console and it basically came down
>to the fact that searchd or indexer was not installed locally on the
>app server.  Everything is fine now that I've compiled and installed
>sphinx on the app server.  Why is this required?  I didn't do any
>indexing there, and searchd is not running on the app server.  TS must
>be looking to the local searchd/indexer for the version number?  This
>seems to be a bug to me.  Has anyone else seen this?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>"Thinking Sphinx" group.
>To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>[email protected].
>For more options, visit this group at 
>http://groups.google.com/group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thinking Sphinx" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/thinking-sphinx?hl=en.

Reply via email to