I agree with Erik..

Either that or if someone knows of or can write a really high-performance thumbnailer for large images... but I dunno about that one. ;-)

  - Cory Christison

Erik Harrison wrote:
On Feb 15, 2008 4:24 PM, Erlend Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Radomir Dopieralski wrote:

Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 06:16:09PM +0100:

Hi

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm knew to this list and
just tried searching with google.
When I select a big image file in thunar (like a 100-300MB tiff) the
computer hangs. Looking at top output I see thunar-vfs-pixb... using
more than available memory (let say 100MB).
How can I fix this? Is it possible to set a size limit or to
blacklist those files?
I thought about inserting an if just after the call to fstat in
exo_gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_max_size
in file exo-gtk-pixbuf-extensions.c.
Maybe a better solution is to add a parameter specifying the max file
size to the function.
For now I put big files in a separate directory and open them using
the command line.

According to the thumbnail storage standard on http://freedesktop.org,
you can prevent generation of thumbnails for some files by making
matching files in the "failed" directory.

That is true.  It's not a real solution though - this is a bug.

The trouble with having a global size limit in Thunar is that some files
are meant to be big - like video files (where just one frame will be
extracted for the thumbnail).  The limits really have to be decided on a
case-by-case basis for each mimetype.

Or, the thumbnailer should gracefully fail when overwhelmed, and let
Thunar use the generic icon for that mime type.

Erlend