Am 07.11.2011 14:16, schrieb Jannis Pohlmann:
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:09:39 +0100
Harald Judt<h.j...@gmx.at>  wrote:

Am 07.11.2011 13:11, schrieb Harald Judt:

What's more, sometimes reloading does not even work. I experienced
this using network shares (CIFS mounts). Only closing and opening
thunar helps here, looks like thunar caches the file size somehow,
and the cache is not invalidated when reloading. Unfortunately, I
couldn't find out how to reproduce this.

After thinking about this once more, could this be a gvfs bug and not
a bug in thunar? But then, gvfs is not used for CIFS mounts, right? I
don't know enough about how thunar handles caching files and folders
to draw conclusions here.

Yes, it's an issue in GVfs, which handles the "smb" URI scheme. For
some schemes, GVfs does not support or implement file monitoring. This
may be due to limitations of the underlying protocols but it could as
well be missing functionality in GVfs (I'm no SMB expert, so I can't
tell). We can partially work around that by triggering automatic
folder reloads whenever something changes within in Thunar. But as soon
as folders or files are modified by other applications, things will get
out of sync, unfortunately.

I think I caused some confusion here. I don't think it's related to gvfs because it is mounted via fstab and I'm not using smb:// in location bar, so it's mounted like a local filesystem - via mount command. What I was speculating about was whether you use gvfs for the local filesystem, too, perhaps for caching information, so then this could be an issue. When I type ls in terminal, it shows the correct size, but in thunar information is not updated correctly until I restart it.

I also noticed that thumbnails are not regenerated immediately when a
custom script changes a file, e.g. rotates the image. Instead, a
generic JPEG icon is shown until one scrolls up or down so that the
icon disappears and reappears, or goes back and forward in history.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

That could well be. Can you file a bug so we don't forget about this?

In fact, I can do so, and I can even provide a test case for this. Sometimes the old thumbnail will be used, as if the change had not been detected. I thought about proposing thunar should reload the folder automatically after a custom action has been performed. Unfortunately, it seems reloading the folder does not really reload anything here. Additionally, this won't fix reloading when someone changes the file in a terminal.

Does not tumbler have its own caching mechanism too? Maybe then tumbler is at fault, not thunar? How could I test this, or how could one force tumbler to regenerate its cache?

(I think I'm getting off-topic now, sorry for that.)

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'