Hi Karen,

not sure what you mean by „seem more like research“, however, both Standards
track documents and experimental documents are protocol specifications (or
defining other kinds of normative information; but in this case we seem to
speak about a protocol spec). The difference between experimental and standards
track is that there is less deployment (potentially none) and therefore there
are open questions that might influence the protocol design. These open
questions should be mentioned at best in an own section. If the experiment is
successful, one could either adapt the specification based on the achieved
results or even move the document forward to standards track without any
modification if the experiment showed no problems that need to be fixed. As I
said, both types should be written as specs, just the level of maturity might
be different. ‚Just‘ putting a research paper into a draft is usually not
sufficient as research papers are written with a different target and different
target audience.

There is no transition from experimental to informational. If a doc is only
informational, in the sense that it does not specify a protocol or defines any
other normative information, it should be informational from the beginning.

Does that help to clarify things?

Mirja