On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 03:26:12AM +0000, Karen O'Donoghue wrote:
> Control Messages Protocol for Use with Network Time Protocol Version 4
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds/
>
> Please review the referenced document and send any comments to the mailing
> list including your assessment of whether this document is mature enough to
> proceed to the IESG. Please note that these messages of support for
> progression to the mailing list will be used to determine WG consensus to
> proceed.

I don't know much about the protocol, e.g. how accurately it describes
what current versions of ntpd/ntpq/ntpdc use, but I think the document
should make it more clear that it is not recommended for new
applications. Should it be labelled as "historic"?

The issue with amplification is a major problem. It is possibly the
most severe security issue NTP ever had in terms of damage. It's the
reason why some ISPs now block the UDP port 123 by default. If it
cannot be fixed, it should be deprecated.

--
Miroslav Lichvar