Wait! Please *don't* disregard! I've been wondering the same thing. I
don't see a way to apply "width" as a table tag attribute, and
applying as a CSS setting doesn't seem to work either ... and maybe
its not supposed to on tables.  The O'Reilly "Definitive CSS" chapter
on tables was of no help either. So far the only thing I can figure
out is to force the column widths clumsily either by putting in non-
breaking spaces, or (possibly) the old glass-image trick.

Thanks!
Mark