Sorry for the late response - still working on that backlog...

> Though I don't understand javascript, by using compression utilities
> (*) I created an updated 'one file' Tinytiddly

Nicely done, Wolfgang! I appreciate the effort you're putting into this.
My concern is that such a manual approach is tedious and error-prone,
which is why, ideally, this process should be automated.
For example, jQuery provides both uncompressed and minified versions,
and I'm sure they use a script to create the latter.
Having said that, Cook supports compression, it's just not been used in
this context yet.

> compression could have mangled some of the code and I have no
> idea how to test it thoroughly

Indeed - while compression utilities should be fairly mature these days,
  and errors would are likely to show up during start-up, there's no
guarantee that there isn't no subtle artifact leading to unexpected
behavior.
Thus both automated* and manual testing are recommended to ensure
everything works as expected.

> Does anybody know if combining them in one external twcore.js file -
> or separating them as 4 distinct external .js files - would be more
> advantageous?

It depends on why you're externalizing it in the first place.
If your only use case is providing these files for standard TiddlyWiki
documents, it's probably better to have them all in one monolithic file
(as that reduces the number of requests required to pull in the code).
However, you could adapt it to your particular use case - e.g. pulling
jQuery from the Google CDN to take advantage of caching.

> is it possible to load js files into a tiddlywiki  without a
> page reload

Yes - see here:
     http://groups.google.com/group/TiddlyWiki/msg/8de769e4d1ae2198

> Also, can plugins installed in tinytiddly be "externalized" as
> well ...and if so, how?

Not necessarily *all* plugins (see the message referenced above), but
many could be included that way. All it takes is for someone to provide
a .js file with the code, then they can be included using a SCRIPT tag.

-- F.

* cf. http://svn.tiddlywiki.org/Trunk/core/test/