I am by far not an expert - but you might try a clean FF3.0.5
or even a portable one. . .
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

I am a Win / Lin user, so I can't help with osX, but I have read many
posts where configuration changes and plugins caused similar problems

Good Luck,

Mike