On Aug 9, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Jason wrote:

> That said I am very much tempted to jump at TW completely. But of
> course I want to be able to use everything I write down in TW also in
> the not-so-near future. So my questions are:
> * Is there anything that stands in the way  of using TW as a some kind
> of long-term (say at least ten years) knowledge database?
> * In particular does anyone have enough insight into the inner
> workings of TW to tell me whether changes in the workings of for
> example browsers or software standards (HTML of javascript) might
> threaten TW in the future.
> * Do you think TW has a large enough user base to persist for the next
> ten years?
> * Is the structure of TW content simple and universal enough that it
> can be integrated in other kinds of wikis or "knowledge databases"
> that might come up in the future?

As a physics student, Jason, you might want to check out Garrett
Lisi's use of TiddlyWiki:
http://deferentialgeometry.org/

And here is a video of a Lisi presentation in which he gets into a
conversation about TiddlyWiki with members of the audience.
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/09/lisi-on-a-wiki.html

And in harvesting the link to the video I discovered a link on the
page to still another video of a talk Lisi gave explicitly on
TiddlyWiki. It's fascinating, and I suspect you'll find it answers
many of your questions.
http://pirsa.org/08090057/

I sniffed around TiddlyWiki like a coyote around a baited trap for
probably a year or more before committing to it wholeheartedly. What
made the difference for me was discovering the power of taggly
tagging. With it I found I could start my thinking and note taking on
a topic with an initial sense of the structure of the project, then
allow it to evolve as my understanding of the topic changed as I
worked on it. I didn't have to have a fixed, or even a very clear,
idea of the structure in starting out.

Since then I've found a few plugins that are especially helpful to me,
and a TiddlyWiki adaptation that had a lot of what I was looking for
in a TiddlyWiki. That is TWT-Blackicity
<http://twt-blackicity.tiddlyspot.com/index.html
 >. [Actually, I use TWT-Blackicity-lite
 ><http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1501581/twt-blackicity-lite.html