First question, I m not familiar with the term "hr-seperated list"..
Do you mean a list which has each item separated by a 'hard return' or
<CarriageReturn><LineFeed> combination?  Or is there some other
character string separating the items?  If this is a one-time
occurrence to take this list and change it,I'd suggest copying the
body of the list into an external text file.  Then use the text editor
(of your choice) to insert a pipe character "|" as a replacement for
the deliminator.  Then, manually insert a carriage return after every
fifth entry to break the list up into columns. You will probably need
to insert several other pipes to finish the task.
Another possibility would be to use a language like 'awk' to process
the list, but I don't think the learning curve justifies a one-time
use.