I have worked out that it is the Skype Plug-in (3.3.0.3971)  for
Firefox (3.5.3) that seems to cause the freezing.  Has  anyone else
noticed this?  I have no idea what to do about this now in terms of
fixing the problem, but if I disable this one plug-in within my
Firefox, then TW's work fine again.

Dickon