I'm wanting to create a button a specific number of times.  This number is
calculated using values passed in to a macro, so I don't know what the
exact value will be every time.

I'm thinking something along these lines:

x=4
<$list filter="limit of x">
thing_to_do
</$list>

output should be:

thing_to_do
thing_to_do
thing_to_do
thing_to_do

I've seen this done somewhere before and I think it was blindingly easy but
I don't remember how it was done or where it was done and I can't seem to
google this problem right.  Anyone heard of this?