Hi Mat

> On 29 Feb 2020, at 13:45, Mat <matiasg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jeremy Ruston wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is reasonable to request that DnD from an OS window
>> into an editor should give a list of file paths? Or is there some "obvious"
>> reason why this doesn't already work? Is it purely a browser issue? Or maybe
>> it does work in other OS'es than Windows?
>
> This comes up surprisingly frequently.
>
> I assume that's because it is still somewhat iffy to work with images in TW,
> both to import or to draw them.

That might be worth another thread. Drawing an image is one click if one has
the “new image” button in the sidebar, hard to imagine it being much simpler.
In what way is it iffy to import images (besides the browser restrictions we’re
discussing here)?

> OK, but neither DnD'ing a single file nor multiple files into an editor(!)
> yields anything (except space characters).

The system handles drag and drop into text inputs. We could override the
behaviour but we still wouldn’t have access to the filepath except on platforms
like TiddlyDesktop.

> If it worked, it would be simple to add a path to them, or use a default path
> to some default folder so _canonical_uri tids could easily be created via DnD.

It would certainly be useful to be able to drag a file into a TW5 text box and
get a link or embed for that file, it’s not something that’s been suggested
before, perhaps because it would only be useful with the external-attachments
plugin.

But I’m confused why you suggest using it to create _canonical_uri tiddlers
when that is already catered for by the external-attachments plugin?

> This can be contrasted with an image on a webpage where its url can be
> directly DnD'd into the editor to get an url string there. (It also works to
> DnD one file, including full path, from "file:///C:/Users/....")

Indeed, browsers file:/// <file:///> view of directories have some interesting
capabilities that can certainly be useful.

> TiddlyDesktop supports the external attachments plugin which does what you
> want: on TiddlyDesktop we have access to the file path and so can create
> _canonical_uri tiddlers to point to imported tiddlers. You can install the
> plugin from the official plugin library.
>
> That'd be for @Bruno who posted the OP. (Personally, I mostly use TiddlySpot
> for the majority of my wikis so I can't use local filepaths anyway - but it
> would be neat if it were possible to pull in an image link, e.g http:....jpg
> and it was recognized so the created tiddler was a _canonical_uri with the
> url.... but this is another question.)

Given the URL on the clipboard one could indeed probably make creating a
_canonical_uri tiddler be a a matter of one or two clicks.

Best wishes

Jeremy