Hi George,

On Monday, March 9, 2020 at 4:02:13 PM UTC+1, bluespire wrote:

> Maybe I missed the documentation on how to update Codemirror for
> Tiddlywiki.

It has to be done by one of the plugin maintainers. Most of the time the
cm-libraries that are part of the files directory, have to be updated _AND_
tested. Codemirror is "ultra modular". So each functionality is separated
into 1 js module. Most of the time such a module is only 1 part of a new
function. eg: autocomplete.

In TW codemirror.js is the main plugin, that you always have to use. It
basically contains the main library and a minimal set of CM addOns that are
needed.

eg: codemirror-autocomplete contains several other cm-modules like:
anyword-hint.js, css-hint.js, html-hint.js .... and so on. PLUS CSS and
some configuration, that is needed within TW.

codemirror-closebrackets contains closebrackets.js and matchbrackets.js ...
+ config.

As you can see, there is quite some manual work needed, to create a new
version for TW. Since the maintainer has to test every feature separately
and in combination with other tw-cm-plugins installed.

Especially the configurations have to be right, to create a plug-and-play
experience for newbie users.

> The one in the official repo looks pretty out of date, but also looks like
> some decent work went into porting it. What's the easiest way to update it?

You are right. There has been much energy put into the system, to make it
easy to use. Especially the "autoconfig" feature needed much attention.
...  TW 5.1.21 uses codemirror elements based on cm V5.37.0

I did have a look at the github release history. ... Most of the fixes
between 5.52.0 which is the latest version and the version we use is mode
updates (most of them not part of the TW distro atm.) and some edge case
fixes.

*So is there major function, that you miss in the current TW version, which
makes it impossible for you to use it. *

Or is it just the need to "have to use the latest and greatest" ...

have fun!
mario