Mat

This may be the what has happened to public health in Sweden however I don't
thing you can draw the conclusions you do especialy when you look at other
countries, England has a cost effective public system as does Australia which
has the lowest prescription prices in the developed world because for
pharmaceuticals to get on the list of subsidised medicines they are open to
competition and reasonableness. In America the mostly private system is the
most expensive on earth with the least access.

When a public service institution fails it needs better management, and perhaps
some incentives, not the addition of parties who take money out of the system
as profit. Private organisations fail as well and they are not immune from
inefficentcies even with the profit motive which tends to first reduce
overheads then moves onto quality reduction, unless they increase costs to the
ill. As costs increase people loose access and the real costs go unmeasured, no
wonder private health can look good on the balance sheet as they rent seek from
government and externalise costs.

Having worked in the public service here I learned the greatest costs in the
public service is public demand for accountability and political interference
including changing the name and logos each election.

What you say maybe true for Sweeden but I do not think it is a rule.

Regards
Tony