Damon,

It is the standard TOC that tends to work the other way, dividing into
branches, leaves etc... Can you ask the Question the other way around?

If you can write an independant filter you can actually subtract one from
the other such as a filter than runs out all branches, then remove the
tiddler in the main line (not railways) the original kin filter exposed,
what will be left is the line of tiddlers that were not in the first
filter, or you can add them together.

I know this is but a hint, not a solution but the test data is not
available. If you could demonstrate it on say a copy of tiddlywiki.com?

Regards
Tony