I agree it does sound like JS would be needed. Still if I were to attempt
something anyway with CSS then I agree it would be some element set to
display:none wrapped in some parent element. And when the parent element is
"affected" (how?) it changes the display of the inner. I don't know if
"display:none" means it never had to be loaded to begin with before though?

But if you "reverse" the matter it is easier; i.e if you click-to-scroll
rather than scroll-to-activate. There's for example this
<https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/s/scroll-behavior/>CSS solution.
Maybe something here
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17631417/css-pure-css-scroll-animation>
.