Hmm that's weird. I tried dragging and dropping an mp3 file and it just
gets imported into the wiki as it would without the plugin. Whereas when I
do the exact same thing with png it creates a _canonical_uri tiddler.

This is all on a freshly downloaded empty wiki, with only the External
Attachments plugin installed.

Do you mind if ask which OS you are using TiddlyDesktop with? I've tried it
on both 32 and 64 bit Windows.