Mark and all, OK: It's just Chrome.

But on multiple computers. And even quitting and relaunching Chrome does
not make the weird sort issue resolve. (I'll try other kinds of cleaning
out the browser tomorrow.)

To describe the problem better: below today's modifications, I get a huge
time-gap jumping back to Sept 2019 (exactly the point at which the Recent
tab in well-behaved instantiations stops bothering to show more -- probably
not a coincidence), then a continuous run of many stock tiddlers from 2019
back to 2014, then the "faultline" jumping forward to show  yesterday's
tidders and various earlier 2020 ones (including some very recent 5.1.22
stock tiddlers) at bottom.

I wish I understood either how to replicate the problem (in a wiki that I
don't need to be actively developing) or at least how to eliminate it so
that I can continue working in Chrome.

Will save the challenge for another day.