Chuck

Did not the unsaved changes open a dialogue warning you are about to navigate
away with unsaved changes.

The reason I don't think you will get what you ask for is browsers do not want
to allow websites altering the way they operate. This is usually called
malware.

I suggest look closer at tiddlywiki and why it did not stop you loosing
changes.

Did you alter the save mechanisium, what save method was in use I assume the
tiddlyspot one?

regards
Tony