On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 4:49:31 AM UTC+2, Birthe C wrote:

I am curious about the use of $:/plugins/tiddlywiki/browser-storage. I know
> it is disabled by default in your file. It has been discussed a couple of
> times mostly with lots of warnings, which is also the case in the plugin
> readme. You have mentioned several times that you liked it and used it. It
> is included in your file, though disabled.

I think, I've been one of those, who had the biggest concerns about this
plugin being active by default. -- I'm appreciating, that the user has to
actively enable the functionality. .. So it is clear to them and it's their
decision. ... They hopefully did read the docs and are prepared ...

My main concern was / is about "unexpected data loss". ... or better "your
data is part of a different browser - so you can't see it atm" problem.

-----------

We now have some "built in" git-savers for GitHub, GitLab and Gitea, where
this plugin can actually help, to avoid "real" data loss.

Some users here in the GG reported, that they lost some unsaved content,
because they did a "tab-refresh" or closed the browser and probably ignored
the "There is some unsaved data" warning.

With the local storage enabled, no data should be lost, since it would be
part of the browser local storage. So if users use the *git-based savers* I
would actually *recommend to use this plugin*.

This also allows the user to *disable *"auto saving", without the fear to
loose data, because it should be stored to the local storage.
-- IF git-savers are used, saving multiple times in very short intervals to
gitHub _will_ cause problems.

BUT

There is still some room for improvement. At the moment, it's not
"visually" clear which tiddlers are stored locally in the browser. ... and
it's not clear, if all local tiddlers are saved to GitHub, if the user
hit's the save button.

Some of my debug sessions showed, that not everything is stored. So I
needed to do 2 or more saves. ... I couldn't find the problem yet, so more
research needed.

have fun!
mario