I started with numerous micro-wikis. I had too many edge cases where I had
difficulty determining if a tiddler belonged in one or another, and started
finding duplicates with diverging information.

So I decided about a year ago to combine them all. It became a 23 MB file
(with no images), and takes about 8 seconds to save (too long for me). As
my coding skills improve I have used tags and lists extensively (such as
`<$list
filter=[all[current]tagging[]!tag[Topic]!sort[modified]]
template=IncTemplate/>`) where IncTemplate is a macro I created that places
the target inside a checkbox.

Thankfully "AdvancedSearch" has a filter tab that lets me export (as JSON)
a file that quickly populates a new purpose-built wiki.

In short, I have pendulum swung to both extremes of your question. My
current state is to have a massive wiki (21MB) and am breaking out smaller
wikis when I am comfortable that the line of separation is clearly
demarcated (in my mind) to I do not have to search in more than one
location. I need to research the plugin mentioned above in this thread...

JWHoneycutt