@Mat: Regarding tools that don't require selections: I haven't really given
any of this a lot of thought. This was a quick hack combining bits from
other things I have worked on, prompted by a request for a more slimmed
down editor toolbar in Streams.

In general I favour a minimal UI when writing, so I would not want a small
toolbar at the top of the textarea with those tools. My natural preference
might be for bringing up a different popup menu at the caret position,
prompted by a keyboard shortcut. However I realize that not everyone is a
fan of keyboard shortcuts. Or you know, we could let EditorMagic deal with
that ;)

@Tony: there is a rough version of a configuration panel for buttons for
the toolbar at https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/floating-menu.html#config

That's pretty much how far I got before the call ended, and it is
sufficient for a proof of concept.