Jan,

Evans formulae plugin has a rich set of date tools but I do not know it it
would be any lighter.

As long as you take dates back to a format you can make use of, such as the
tiddlywiki serial number or say 0YYYY0MM0DD0MM its fairly easy to parse and
reformat date strings now.
Dates before 1900 may be best handled seperately.

*What are the formats you would like to move between?*

You could have a reference date then treat dates (numbers) before or after
a particular date differently eg <1 BC <-100,000 in epochs

Regards
Tony