Brian,

Nice to hear a contra-view however;

   - No solution like the one discussed would be compulsory and unlikely
   even in the standard distribution
   - In some ways I am proposing a defacto standard that a number of people
   agree to, you use it if you want too
   - All elements should be selectable, and as I proposed they need to be
   subtle.
   - Whilst I think developers may love it, I disagree with the suggestion
   that new users would not benefit from this, or even innocent users of a
   website that happens to be tiddlywiki.
      - The reason is people do respond to subtle information even if not
      consciously
      - The information should be of use to the user but we do not always
      know what is useful to the user ahead of time.
      - Tags and view templates, title and groups or lists all can be of
      relevance to the user because that is the way tiddlywiki works
      - Just as someone can choose a theme, they can a choose rich
      highlight mode or not
         - I would argue, even promote such a solution that it would have
         far less impact on a user than changing the theme.
      - You are saying "not outside there content", but I am suggesting
   bringing out hidden content, in ever so subtle ways.

I did not put the argument in my suggestion, but there is a science and
cognitive basis to my proposal. One that recognises that humans can extract
information even collected subconsciously, if that information is
observable.  There is also a driver in the human mind to abstract knowledge
then apply it in different places - this is a key feature of creativity.

if any of this kind of styling were added to the default install, I would
> hope that they are not active by default, but made easily discoverable in
> the Control Panel by someone who is interested in having more meta
> information readily available.

Of course, but time will tell if it is an advantage to the naive, new user.

Regards
Tones