Three days of trying to cleave that intertwingled bunch of bits into
several posts instead of one: I had to stop the insane struggling and
either post the mess or post none of it.

If all of that mass can inspire anybody to write some generic and tidy
how-to articles per "topic", that would be pretty cool.