Thank you for the helpful answers, now at least I know what I am missing!

What I actually wanted to do is unfortunately more complicated than that. I
am using a plugin (Streams -
https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/streams.html) that uses a lot of
transclusions, and I wanted to style the transcluded tiddlers based on a
field (therefore the link to the docs). I did not want to use transclusion
with templates because the transclusion happens inside the plugin  I did
not want to mess up with the plugin's code.

Thanks again for all the answers, if anybody has any other ideas, it would
be great! :-) But it was already helpful to know what was wrong with my
thinking!

Best,
Valeria