An update, in case someone else stumbled on this thread.

My assumption that the number of images and image size does not matter if
you are running TW from NodeJS turned out to be wrong.

I removed images from my TW, which reduced the size from 33MB to 6MB,
that's about 80% reduction in size. The performance of TW, including
animations, improved drastically.

First, I had removed only large images, i.e., images greater than 1MB in
size. When I noticed the boost in responsiveness, I pulled all the images.

   1. I uploaded images to an external host, pCloud.
   2. I created image tiddlers inside TW and their `_canonical_uri` field
   to the image URL

This way, my TW stays light and responsive, and I get the advantage of
using images as tiddlers, like reusing an image in different tiddlers or
using an image as an icon, or renaming an image tiddler.

I did not export the SVG images, but I did run them through an image
optimizer to reduce their size.