Thank you!  I had looked into webmentions as a plugin for wordpress at one
time.  You have hit on something I am very interested in -- activitypub
based comment system so that 1) you can use a 'universal login system' and
2) conversations can happen both on the blog page and, in the event of a
single comment/reply situation, a person can do that within their own
'feed'.  Webmention doesn't really do either of these and is very limited.
They talk about conversations but there is no way to really reply.  So if I
had webmentions and you mentioned my post in your feed, that mention would
show up but I could not directly answer it in a way that is useful.  You
may be able to answer but there is no 'nested' view of a back and forth so
it would be quite difficult to follow the conversation.  I may be wrong the
documentation is sparse but that is what I came up with looking at
wordpress implementations.

One idea I had was a pleroma instance and then using an iframe.

As you can see on my blog <https://blog.digitalap3.com> I chose to just go
with Remark42 which allows anonymous logins.  You still have to choose a
username so I'll see how much spam is generated,  Not that I'm expecting a
bunch of visitors.  I'll post more in a how to but I spun the Remark42 up
in a docker container then put the <script> in a tiddler that I transcluded
into the rendering template.  Then just put the placement <div> in the blog
post template and Viola!   Well probably I haven't done extensive testing
but it seems to be working.