FWIW, if you have a process or something for publishing your wiki in
another place for people to download, what I do is have a set of tiddlers
that I import (ReleaseMode.json) during my build/publish process that turn
off a bunch of buttons and UI elements, so I build a user version and an
editor version using the nodejs tiddlywiki which has already been loaded
with the master template:

tiddlywiki "Data Mart User Manual" --import ReleaseMode.json application/json

Obviously this technique can be enhanced (all these tiddlers are actually
tagged in my full version so they can be deleted automatically).  Macros
and other parts of your Wiki can look for the ReleaseMode tiddler to see if
it's in Release Mode or not (perhaps to show some tiddlers differently).

[{
    "title" : "ReleaseMode"
    ,"text" : "# This Wiki is in Release mode"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{
    "title" :
"$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/control-panel"
    ,"text" : "hide"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{
    "title" :
"$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/new-tiddler"
    ,"text" : "hide"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{
    "title" :
"$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/save-wiki"
    ,"text" : "hide"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{
    "title" :
"$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/plugins/tiddlywiki/markdown/new-markdown-button"
    ,"text" : "hide"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{
    "title" : "$:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/edit"
    ,"text" : "hide"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{
    "title" :
"$:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/more-tiddler-actions"
    ,"text" : "hide"
    ,"type" : "text/vnd.tiddlywiki"
}
,{