Charlie et al,

I value this discussion, and hope to respond in more detail to the OT,
because I value the forthright and open conversation, but I also need to
disagree sometimes to be truthful. Just as I expect you to disagree with
me. The fact is tiddlywiki helps us understand the process of thinking.

Charlie I appreciate you putting forward your view on how hierarchies can
impact the way we see things, they can force us to "stay within the box".
However as you have raised this a number of times I must say, I must point
out that I believe, with all due respect ultimately you are wrong, or at
least the way you say it is.

My argument

As an creative Information Technology professional of many years, the way I
use hierarchies is not the rigid inflexible ones you seem to speak of. With
tiddlywiki I can apply, impose multiple hierarchies on the very same data.
I can handle exceptions, build a supplementary network to accommodate the
things that don't fit, so I am never restricted by them. Hierarchies can
also "ebb and flow", A really simple example is "addresses", by definition
they ultimately need to refer to a specific location - Planet, Hemisphere,
country, state, region, town or location, street, number or block, even
front or back gate, The ability to detect a hierarchy when it exists is
critical, representing it as such, is information about the thing you
describe, to deny it is to loose information.  But yes there are other
substantially different ways to capture and organise information and I like
to make use of them all. I have being exploring all the ways we can
organise knowledge with tiddlywiki. A contra example with location is
"address less" see What3Words <https://what3words.com/guard.cling.radio>,
in this case we learn more from the fact that the hierarchy sometimes fails
and another organisational method is needed, in the case of what3words you
need to know the planet and three specific but arbitrary words from a
database of 3 metre x 3 metre locations.

There is some good books on the way we think, and one of the strongest
argued that the key to human learning, creativity and intelligence is our
ability to "abstract", take a set of occurrences and identify both the
similarities and differences, then take this abstraction and apply it in a
novel circumstance.  This relates to systems theory, where one learns the
system behind the observations, then applies the same system to other
cases. Abstraction is almost totally a hierarchical model (if very
flexible). There is good argument that we humans use this to write poetry,
stories and uncover the systems behind nature.

I do understand what you are saying, and I think it is an important thing
to keep in mind, the possible failings of a hierarchy, but then we must
also recognise its values.

I am a "lay philosopher" and there are dozens of examples where we learn
what appears to be a truth, or a good rule, but then we must keep it in
mind, but set it aside, lest it restrict our vision going forward. This is
I believe a case in point. Another is a need to accept we can be certain of
nothing, but simultaneously, somethings are much more certain than others,
how can these apparently contradictory things be true?  perhaps that just
is how the universe is.

Regards
TonyM