Si,

The protection on browsers is the issue here I believe. If you run your
wiki in TiddlyDesktop, as a hta file (some limitations) and using twexe
referencing file: addresses is not so limited. Similarly if you use the
files feature of bob you can access those files at a URL

Relative links to files relative to files under node may also work for you
but not file from the browser.

You can put file:///C:\path\to\file.html in the browser address bar with
the right permissions, even browse the folders. and you can copy link
address and import to a wiki. Otherwise it is hard now to get this
interaction with the local machine unless tiddlywiki is running in A non
internet browser like the one built into TiddlyDesktop.

My feeling is others have overcome this limitation like Office 365 browser
apps, but