Jan,

Interesting word skeumorph.

No answer but some thoughts that may help

My HTML/CSS skills have improved working with TiddlyWiki however perhaps
not enough to resolve this example.

   - I am confident however when it comes to copying the behaviour of your
   example native tiddlywiki/wikitext will be much simpler and less verbose,
   although as you have demonstrated the CSS output is working to some extent.
   - When depending wholly on html and css the answer given by the user may
   not be stored persistently
   - If you look at the syntax <https://tiddlywiki.com/#RadioWidget> you
   can see how the result is stored in an index, a "tiddlywiki object" and
   similarly the rest of your  solution needs to respond to the value used in
   tiddlywiki
   - As you have identified the key is to get persistent storage of the
   value.

Perhaps you can use a reveal to only use part of the styling or html when
the selected value is given by a tiddlywiki radio  widget.

Best of luck
Tones