The promotion of -- to – is caused by a parse rule, called *dash*. If
you're willing to turn it off for this entire wiki, you can find the option
in Control Panel/Info/Advanced/Parsing (note that you have to reload the
page to see the change).

Otherwise...normally, you can disable parse rules on a tiddler-by-tiddler
basis with the *\rules except* pragma, like:

```
\rules except dash

This will be two hyphens: --
```

I could not get this to work in combination with the $wikify widget though,
either by just putting the widget inside a tiddler with a rules pragma or
by using a macro to concatenate the pragma to the command before passing it
in to $wikify. Maybe there is a way to use pragmas with $wikify that I'm
missing, but if so it doesn't appear to be documented.