I can't speak to the issue of linking or the relationship between the
fields, but if the issue is just the small side of the edit box, you could
try the editwidget. I use the following in one tiddler to adjust the
content of a custom field of a second tiddler.

<$edit tag="textarea" tiddler="yourtiddlernamehere"
field="yourfieldnamehere" class="tc-edit-texteditor"/>

For your case scenario, it would be a matter of changing tiddler="" to a
'currentTiddler' filter, adding it to a tiddler, and tagging the tiddler
$:/tags/EditTemplate . Not sure what you would need to put. But that would
give you a bigger area to work with for that field / those fields.