Editor-autolist depends on the editor toolbar - but you can hide it with
css if you find it distracting.
Have a look at the *contents* of the <$edit> widget here which sets up the
toolbar:
$:/core/ui/EditTemplate/body/editor

Also, using <$edit> instead of <$edit-text> might get the autocomplete
working as well. It's been a while since I looked at it though. If that
does not work, use <$edit-comptext>.