Tags are useful to show relationships (parent-child) between tiddlers,
and attributes that could apply to entire groups of tiddlers, but they
really shouldn't IMHO be used to hold chunks of information or tiddler-
specific information. So you might tag a tiddler with something to
indicate that it holds a type of information (e.g. "Biblio") you
shouldn't use it to hold that information (e.g. "Mark Twain") And
although you can add tags with spaces, it doesn't seem like a natural
fit.

Fields are obscure in the current TW set up, so I've tended to avoid
them.

I'm guessing that the <data> plugin was introduced before sections &
slices were added to the TW world. I would fault the lack of TW
documentation for not introducing any of these features to the new
user.

Slices and sections are a convenient, natural way to enter tiddler-
specific data. You don't need to modify your tiddler template (though
you can) or get extra plugins for manipulating them (though you can).
Slices are single lines of information. Sections can be whole
paragraphs or documents. They can be accessed using the <<tiddler>>
transclusion if you get Eric Shulman's WikifyPlugin. (I've added a
patch to the plugin I use to access sections as well) Sections and
fields can be hidden by /%...%/ if you don't want information
cluttering up the tiddler display.

Mark