@David I might be misunderstanding, but by "target tiddler" do you mean the
tiddler that you are currently viewing within the story? If so, you could
use HotZone plugin <https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-HotZone>.

I already do something like this to display backlinks etc in the sidebar:

<$list filter="[{$:/temp/focussedTiddler}links[]]">
<$link><<currentTiddler>></$link>
</$list>

This will refresh the list whenever you scroll to a different tiddler,
without you having to click any links. I like Saq's suggestion of pinning
the list to the sidebar, however. I have often considered trying to do this
but never got around to it.