Thank you, Hubert! This is the key I needed to find. I have in fact seen
the thread you linked, and because I didn't understand it (it didn't affect
the frequency of TIddlyWeb messages/saves, which was my focus at the time),
I kind of set it aside. I have my main wiki's $:/config/Drafts/TypingTimeout
set to four seconds, but I missed how it worked with state tiddlers.

I've tried it on tiddlywiki.com, and it did make a difference. So even if I
have other speed issues to deal with, at least this mystery is solved. It
was driving me bonkers that I couldn't see why a draft tiddler was smooth
and an arbitrary edit-text widget was not (on my hardware and software).
Such a relief. Thanks again Hubert (and Jeremy) for already having worked
on this, and for the excellent answer above.

If I had searched properly in this group, I would have seen your title,
nearly identical to mine.

Best wishes,
Chris