I have a table and I am using WikiText because of the ability to use ~ and
< to merge up and left - this is very convenient when generating the data
tables in my build process so I don't have to look ahead indefinitely down
and to the right.

But I am finding need for more formatting (specifically making the
background of a cell change due to content), but if I move to and HTML
table, I will lose that ~ and < capability and have to look ahead in my
data to decide when to merge cells using rowspan and colspan.

So I am looking to see if there is a way to style a cell in a WikiText
table.

Thanks,

Cade