If I'm understanding what you want correctly, the easiest way is a filtered
transclusion <https://tiddlywiki.com/#Transclusion%20in%20WikiText> with
the getindex operator:

{{{ [{ApplicationChoice}getindex{!!idnumber}] }}}

If you don't want the result to show up as a link, you can use the $text
widget:

<$text text={{{ [{ApplicationChoice}getindex{!!idnumber}] }}}/>

As you noted, {{ApplicationChoice##{{!!idnumber}}}} doesn't work.
TiddlyWiki doesn't parse wikitext inside double braces, so once you get
into the first {{, it's not going to know what to do with {{!!idnumber}}.