Hi Jerrold,

You say "I am just new to this environment" and that is what I am picking
up on here...

One way forward is to first play around with the base which is Tiddlywiki
(5) - you can download a single HTML file - play and delete with no
commitment, installs - just a 'no consequences' trash around play session.

Tiddlywiki  is the underlying 'engine' for stroll which is why I suggest 30
mins trying out the "vanilla" (ie Tiddlywiki) first.

I use elements of Stroll myself so not advising against it - just
suggesting that you may come away with a better overview if you play around
with Tiddlywiki first before playing around with the various offerings that
are built on top of it.

The flexibility of Tiddlywiki means that developers have created platforms
ontop of Tiddlywiki that offer goodies not found in Tiddlywiki - but to
have a feel for the base might give you a better overview - some people
might disagree and advise going straight to Stroll. It might help to
understand that everything in Tiddlywiki is a tiddler - people who have
built upon tiddlywiki have effectively added more tiddlers - its very
organic in nature and lends itself to customisation way beyond most
applications.

The great thing about Tiddlywiki (standalone version) being in one file and
accessible through your browser is that its so easy to evaluate - just
download one html file, open it in your browser and play around, just get
to the stage where you can create tiddlers, link them, import images
perhaps and include them and save the resulting file as your latest version
- everything else will spin out from there.

I never migrated to the "autosave" plugins or server based versions of
Tiddlywiki - I like the simplicity of the stand alone Tiddlywiki way of
working ie a single html file and I have always taken personal
responsibility for saving - I never liked to rely on auto save features in
any application so it is a foreign way of working for me - strange for
someone who worked in IT for decades but I have never liked to rely on
anything but myself for ensuring backups and ability to go back to a
particular date.

My wiki has hundreds of hours work invested, I manually backup to several
different media periodically including my phone which in turn offers me the
option to *read* my Wiki whilst on a bus or train but the operative word is
"read" - the only time I "write" is on my laptop ( the authorised version )
- people who like to sync and write from any device will not share my
enthusiasm for that way of working and will want the more sophisticated
server options.

But all the same if you are really new to the whole thing and just want to
get your feet wet then why not evaluate the base first - ie standalone
Tiddlywiki - single file - "self save" and get your toes wet ?

Here the fallback saver method which is the only one I ever use !

https://tiddlywiki.com/static/Saving%2520with%2520the%2520HTML5%2520fallback%2520saver.html

Note carefully in the above point 5 for saving - locate the circle symbol
with the tick inside - your browser will treat this as a downloaded file -
worth checking out options in your browser so that for instance it always
asks where you want to  place the file rather than the default of a
downloads folder - in Firefox I have options to state destination and it
remembers my last choice for next time.

Developers who create on top of Tiddlywiki usually seem to bundle together
components in a plug and play manner so very often if you want a particular
feature you can add it just by importing a few tiddlers grouped as a plugin
into your base wiki, for instance I did not adopt all of Stroll but I
especially liked the Bidirectional linking which means that when I link
tiddler A to B then I automatically get a reciprocal link from B to A
appearing at the end of B and many great options in that one too!

If I had gone straight to offerings built on top of Tiddlywiki I would have
understood less about the base - I might not have understood that by
carefully selecting plugins and elements from those offerings I could
define my own custom setup that suits me best - ie I took Bidirectional
linking from Stroll - a favourites plugin from elsewhere, my tags menu is
based on help received on this forum which I later expanded and customised
as my needs evolved.

The lesson I learnt really is that we all say "I want something that works
with our brain" but our brains work differently, especially when they are
asked to perform different tasks in the sense that you and I will be using
Tiddlywiki for completely different purposes ( probably ! ) and our brains
develop with the tools we use - we change over time and learn new ways of
working as we use the tools designed to help us - I would go for the
organic nature of Tiddlywiki ( and it's derivatives ) anytime because I
have not seen anything else that offers this level of organic customisation.

Recent example: I added a random feature to my Wiki so that at a click of a
button I could show myself a random 10 tiddlers - I realised that like most
people I tread familiar paths often and this skews my Wiki and may neglect
items I curated say six months ago that were simply not linked as well as
they could have been and are fallling into obscurity - so I added the
random feature and click on that button once in a while when I want to
"throw the dice" - very often a tiddler that was falling into obscurity
through no good reason gets a new life - gets better linked into the
eco-system and turns out to have some good ideas in it - maybe sometime I
should look into favouring tiddlers that have fewer links or something - I
don't know but I love knowing I have the option.

Good luck !

Jon