First I apologize if this is a taboo topic. I don't meant for it to be
flame war between respective camps if it is. I just tend to view/understand
things differently when it comes to paradigms or techniques.

I have seen many posts about workflows and data collection but this post is
about data presentation and recollection.

I don't know if my constant internal debate is normal for others as well,
or if I'm trying to bridge too many different concepts that are
fundamentally different, or something else but it personally drives me
crazy.

>From what I can tell there are at least three main methods of presenting
wiki data:

1. Search feature that you enter keyword(s) into and review the results.
2. Some kind of table of contents or index that shows all of the content,
most likely grouped by some type of categorization.
3. Some kind of splash page that is similar in concept to #2 but acts more
as a guide with manual links embedded within a naturally written page to
almost create an interface.

In truth #3 might be just me creating some sort of perversion of #2 from my
experience with web design and game/anime wikia sites.

Also, my concerns about data "recollection" might be an example of me
trying to bridge wiki-ing and note taking. Perhaps the concept of
recollection isn't as important in a wiki because you are using it to
collect specific, related, and organized topics and as such it will display
accordingly? I guess like the details of a city or character under the
appropriate section (wiki) vs a random though entered on a random day about
a commercial you just saw (notes). I know you can use a wiki for note
taking and a note taking as a way to wiki-ing but are the underlying
processes easily interchangeable? Or do they cause a conflict?

*tl;dr*:

How do you present your wiki data to yourself/others? Do you use the search
feature most of the time? Or do you use an index/table of contents
approach? Or something else entirely or in between the two?

Thanks!