Hello @Russel

Besides this "Select Mode" I've done many experiments to find a solution
for the "focus tiddler" and over at GitHub
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/discussions/5825> we're currently
discussing another approach
I've moved away from trying to implement a plugin on my own to trying to
get something to the tiddlywiki core. But I think there's still a lot of
work to do and help is needed

best wishes, BTC