I don't think that simple CSS can solve this, since each tiddler frame is
given a higher z-index as you go up the story river; so no matter what you
set, each child will overlap all the tiddler elements farther down the
river. You may have to just size the menu to not overlap with the story
river, give the width a % to re-size with the window.