@Daryl, glad to hear you enjoy it! Also, I came to TW5 by way of Stroll, so
kudos are due to David as well.

I was actually unaware of this Stroll feature until you pointed it out.
Unfortunately I think that is where the issue lies: the way Stroll has
implemented the 'remove toolbar' actually takes away the functionality as
well as the visibility of the buttons. (Try for example ctrl-B or ctrl-I,
with and without the toolbar visible. This is true whether you use
markdown, vanilla wikitext, or anything.) Inheriting from Saq's
implementation (and I'm not sure if there's any other way to do it),
editor-autolist-markdown works via an 'invisible' toolbar button with the
assigned key shortcuts. So when the toolbar is removed, even though there
wasn't a visible button to begin with, the autolist functionality goes away
just like it does for bold, italic, etc.

This could be addressed by how the Big Text Area is implemented. I'm sure
it is more difficult to implement, but it is possible to turn the toolbar
invisible rather than removing it via <$reveal>. If the style "display:
none" is added to the div containing the toolbar (I think by default it is
.tc-text-editor-toolbar-item-wrapper) this would do it. (This would also
bring back your bold, italic, etc.)