I second CJ in saying that the {{{ [<currentTiddler>addsuffix[whatever]]
}}} route is usually a better way to concatenate text, especially when you
don't know much TiddlyWiki.

You're getting bitten by not understanding text substitution
<https://groktiddlywiki.com/read/#Text%20Substitution> and wikification
<https://groktiddlywiki.com/read/#Wikification>, which are both quite
complex and require you to understand how TiddlyWiki actually goes about
processing macros and rendering tiddlers. In contrast, your intuition will
usually work fine with filters.